This course is designed to discuss resources and techniques for certifying instructors for teaching the 911 Basic Telecommunicator's Certification Course.
LAPSEN NECI Basic 9-1-1 Certification Course S-PS
This course is for LAPSEN members, instructors and students
This 40-hour 9-1-1 Basic Communications course provides employees with the basic knowledge, skills, and experience to understand the functional operation of an emergency communications system, and their role and responsibilities within the emergency communications system.
This course meets the following national 9-1-1 standards:
- APCO ANSI National Public Safety 9-1-1 Training Standard
- NENA 56-004 – TTY/TDD Call Handling Standard
- NENA 56-005 – NENA Call Answering Standard
- NFPA 1061
By the end of the course, the 9-1-1 Communications Officer candidate will have received training and been tested (written and practical) in the following subjects:
- 9-1-1 Ethics
- 9-1-1 Liability
- 9-1-1 Legal Issues
- 9-1-1 Roles and Responsibilities
- Overview of Law Enforcement
- Overview of Fire Services
- Overview of Emergency Medical Services
- Stress Management in 9-1-1
- Interpersonal Communications in 9-1-1
- Communication Technologies
- FCC Rules and Regulations
- 9-1-1 Call Processing Techniques
- Call Classification
- Radio Techniques
- Special 9-1-1 Incidents
- The Americans with Disabilities Act and 9-1-1
Basic 9-1-1 Communications certification eligibility requires minimum scores on the final written and practical exercises.
NOTE: Some states require basic certification as a prerequisite for attendance in the 9-1-1 Instructor course. Check with your state 9-1-1 board.
- Teacher: Chris Wood